STARRING CONTEMPORARY ART
THE THIRD EDITION OF THE LEOPOLD BLOOM ART AWARD
Organised by the Leopold Bloom Art Foundation and Pepper Art Projects, the Leopold Bloom Art Award is taking place for the third time.
The award aims to support progressive artists of the Hungarian art scene and to contribute to their international debut and career. The initiative of the Founders – just as in James Joyce's Ulysses –symbolizes internationality, and the Irish-Hungarian relations, amongst others.
The finalists will be selected by a jury of internationally recognized art professionals, and their works will be exhibited at the Új Budapest Galéria (in the Bálna) where the winning artist’s name will be announced during the Awards Ceremony.
The amount of the prize is Eur 10000, presented directly to the artist, which can be used to cover the costs of foreign representation and the implementation of the exhibition concept.
The Awards Ceremony will be held on 4 September 2015, at 6 p.m.
Founder and support: Leopold Bloom Foundation, Maurice Ward Art Handling
Concept and realization: Pepper Art Projects
The applications must include:
1. An up-to-date CV in English
2. A digital portfolio in English (including the data of the works: title, year, technique, size, and other necessary information)
3. An up-to-date statement in English, reflecting upon the artist's presented works
4. A maximum 2-page-long exhibition project in English, presenting the concept of an exhibion abroad and the works. The exhibiton project can either be for a solo show or for the applicant’s participation in a group exhibition. In the latter case, the whole concept of the group exhibition, and the list of the other exhibiting artists have to be attached as well.
5. Reproductions of minimum 4 and maximum 8 works of the applicant (title, year, technique, size and other information), which are intended for presentation at the awards exhibition in autumn, in case the applicant’s works are chosen.
Conditions for participation:
- There is no age limit for the application, all artists can apply for free who work in Hungary or who has a significant presence on the Hungarian art scene
- Applicants shall agree to cooperate with the Organizer (Pepper Art Projects), to provide the necessary information and to respect the deadlines.
- The applicants accept the jury's decision, and that the jury's decision about unsuccessful applications is not explained.
- Applicants must not influence the jury during the selection process. If the artist or their representative do this in any form, the applicant will be immediately excluded from the competition.
If the jury selects the applicant for the awards exhibition, the artist agrees to:
- make the works specified in the application and selected by the jury available for the time of the exhibition without any additional remuneration. Insurance for the duration of the exhibition will be arranged by the organizers.
- the organizers can use the exhibited works without restrictions and free of charge in the communication related to the Leopold Bloom Art Award, if it does not violate the artist’s reputation.
- The winner undertakes the exhibition presented in the application.
- The winner agrees to make a short report in English and Hungarian about the foreign exhibition (within a month following its closing date), and sends the photo and video materials of the show to the Organiser.
- The payment of the prize and the details of the cooperation (especially with the Új Budapest Galéria in the Bálna) will be set in a separate agreement.
- Applicants agree that they voluntarily provide the necessary information, and with the submission of their application they accept that their personal data will be handled by the Organizer during the application period.
- Applicants agree that the terms of participation are subject to change
- By submitting their application, applicants accept the terms and conditions. Violation of these terms and conditions may result in disqualification.
The artists will be selected by the following art professionals:
Jury: Dr. Declan Long, Susanne Altmann, Mark Rappolt
Pre-Jury: Catalina Lozano, Barbara Sirieix, Maija Rudovska
The jury make their decision based on the following criteria:
the submitted portfolio and exhibition concept
the international actuality of the artist’s work
The organizers will unveil the list of the finalists on 24 July 2015 and the jury members will then visit theses artists’s studios. The Awards Ceremony will take place on September 4, 2015 in the Új Budapest Galéria (Bálna).
The international exhibition:
Following the Awards Ceremony, the winner, working in collaboration with the Founder and the Organizer, decides on the optimal location and date of the foreign exhibition. The selected exhibition space need to be a venue that contributes to the development of the artists’s career. It also needs to be a place that has an audience, history and style linked as much as possible to the winner’s style.
After selecting the venue, the Organizer will contact the designated exhibition space and prepare the exhibition. The transport and insurance of the works will be arranged by the Maurice Ward Art Handling Ltd. The implementation of the exhibition is available for up to 18 months.
Nóra Hanka art historian, project leader (Pepper Art Projects)
The submission of applications:
Deadline: 30 April, 2015 at midnight
Applications received after the deadline will not be accepted.
The allowed file formats is PDF, and maximum 10 MB.
Applications can only be submitted in digital format and please upload on the following server.
Clicking on Next after uploading function ends the application process and the email notification arrives!